Where: This statue is really hard to find. It is at the end of a dead end road on Petrin Hill, Prague 1. It is close to the statue of Jan Neruda as well as The Fountain of 2 playing boys. GPS: 50.082807, 14.400177.
What: It is a statue of Ferdinand Laub. The statue depicts Laub sitting with a violin in his left hand. This statue was created by Vojtěch Sapík in 1913. Originally it was located in Křivoklát, were Ferdinand had lived and moved to its current location on Petrin Hill in 1950.
On the base of the statue there is a plaque with the text: “Ferdinand Laub world famous violinist from the famous triple stars Jos.Slavík, Ferd.Laub, Fr.Ondříček. The faithful son of the Czech nation, a friend of Bedřich Smetana, Franz Liszt, Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky. Founder of a violin school at the Moscow Conservatory, etc. * January 19, 1832 in Prague, at Újezd (U Ježíšků) +18.3.1875 in Gries (Tyrol). Buried from 1950 in Vyšehrad”.
Who: Ferdinand Laub (January 19, 1832 – March 17, 1875) was a famous Czech violin player. Starting with his first public appearance already at the age of six, he was considered a well-admired violinist winning awards all over Europe. Ferdinand worked with famous musicians especially Tchaikovsky, who dedicated String Quartet 3 to Laub after his death in 1875. Ferdinand Laub has been reburied in 1950 in the famous Vysehrad cemetery.
Where: Next to the Kampa Museum in Kampa park, Prague 1, you can find this artwork in the river Vltava. GPS: 50.084232, 14.408989
What: The artwork is called “March of the Penguins Yellow” and consists of 34 very bright yellow penguins which light up at night. The Penguins are made out of recycled plastic materials and were originally part of the exhibit “RE-evolution” at Kampa Museum in 2008.
Who: The artwork is created by a number of international artists who call themselves the Cracking Art Group. Their use of recycled plastic and bright colored animal shapes in unexpected places is to inspire a conversation about the importance and the environmental impact of recycling as well as to investigate the close relationship between natural and artificial reality.
Where: You can find this monument in Chotkovy sady, which is the public garden between Letna Park and the Royal garden. GPS: 50.093840, 14.408108 in Prague 1.
What: As mentioned on it, this monument commemorates Julius Zeyer. It was unveiled on September 16, 1913 and was created by the sculptor Josef Mauder (December 1, 1854 – November 15, 1920) . The monument is in the shape of a cave which is made from granite with marble statues in it. The statues represent characters from Zeyer’s works. On the other side of the rock formation you can find a plaque with a list of those works in golden letters.
Who: Julius Zeyer (April 26, 1841 – January 29, 1901) was a Czech writer, playwright and Romantic poet. Two of his most famous works are the poems Vyšehrad (1880), and Karolinská epopeja (1896). In his work he often blended foreign legends and history with national themes particular to Czech society and history. He is buried in the famous Vyšehrad cemetery in Prague.
Where: On Petrin Hill, in the Petrin gardens (Petřínské sady) just opposite of the statue of Jan Neruda. GPS: 50.083249, 14.402064
What: This small fountain shows two boys playing, surrounded by 6 frogs and 2 lizards. It was created in 1948 by the artist Karel Dvořák. It has been in the Petrin Gardens from 1949. The inspiration for the statue of the two boys came from Herbert Revilliod, who died in an airplane crash in 1944 and Leonard Revilliod,who died because of an illness in 1945. They were the grandchildren of Thomas Masaryk, the famous first president of the Czechoslovak Republic. The statue is named Masaryks’ grandsons (Masarykovi vnuci).
Who: Karel Dvořák (Jan 1, 1893 – Feb 28, 1950) was a Czech sculptor. He was one of the disciples of Jan Štursa, who is considered to be one of the founders of Czech modern sculpture. But in his work you can also find influences of the Italian Renaissance, Neo-classicism and baroque. Karel Dvořák’s works can be found on several locations in the Czech Republic.