Where: This statue is really hard to find. It is at the end of a dead end road on Petrin Hill, Prague 1. It is close to the statue of Jan Neruda as well as The Fountain of 2 playing boys. GPS: 50.082807, 14.400177.
What: It is a statue of Ferdinand Laub. The statue depicts Laub sitting with a violin in his left hand. This statue was created by Vojtěch Sapík in 1913. Originally it was located in Křivoklát, were Ferdinand had lived and moved to its current location on Petrin Hill in 1950.
On the base of the statue there is a plaque with the text: “Ferdinand Laub world famous violinist from the famous triple stars Jos.Slavík, Ferd.Laub, Fr.Ondříček. The faithful son of the Czech nation, a friend of Bedřich Smetana, Franz Liszt, Peter Ilyich Tchaikovsky. Founder of a violin school at the Moscow Conservatory, etc. * January 19, 1832 in Prague, at Újezd (U Ježíšků) +18.3.1875 in Gries (Tyrol). Buried from 1950 in Vyšehrad”.
Who: Ferdinand Laub (January 19, 1832 – March 17, 1875) was a famous Czech violin player. Starting with his first public appearance already at the age of six, he was considered a well-admired violinist winning awards all over Europe. Ferdinand worked with famous musicians especially Tchaikovsky, who dedicated String Quartet 3 to Laub after his death in 1875. Ferdinand Laub has been reburied in 1950 in the famous Vysehrad cemetery.